Interlocking laser-cut balsa and plywood parts make assembling the models as easy and as fast as possible.
The most complete hardware set you've ever wanted is included so the only things you have to add are covering, power system, and radio.
Designed in the thin air at 6000 feet, the cub flies beautifully and has plenty of flying power on a simple 80 watt brushless outrunner. The plane in the pictures weighs a paultry 13.6 ounces ready to fly! (Yes, that does includes everything, even a 2S1200 mAh LiPo) It is still plenty durable and the structure was not compromised to hit this weight. Compare this plane to a Chinese BARF that weighs twice what ours does!
Wingspan: 37.9 in
Length: 30 in.
Wing Area: 259 sq in
Weight: 13 - 16.5 oz
(Yes, we really did hit 13 oz with a brushless
outrunner and LiPo battery!)
Loading: 7.2 - 9.1 oz/sq
Controls: 4 (Rudder, elevator, ailerons (2 servos),
Power: 350 sized Brushed or Brushless power
Piloting: Fairly stable, could be 1st aerobatic
Building: "Could be a first balsa
cut balsa and plywood
- Vac-formed cowling
- 2 in. DuBro main
wheels, 1" DuBro tail wheel
- DuBro Micro Servo
- DuBro Micro EZ
- Nylon wing
- Hatch magnets
- All wire for scale landing gear, pushrods, etc.
- All other hardware needed, including screws, bolts, nuts, etc.
- Includes 3 motor mounts; stick mount, rear firewall mount, and
front firewall mount.
- Includes Full-Size plans.
- Sharp knife (#11 X-Acto)
- Sealing Iron and iron socks
- Sanding block with 320 and 400 grit
- Needle nose pliers
- Wire bender or pliers
- Wire cutters
- Plastic wrap or wax paper
Items Needed to Complete:
- 1 roll lightweight covering (SoLite or similar)
- Optional: Extra covering or trim sheets for detail work
as desired for finish
- Paint for cowling and engine details
- Thin and thick CA
- Epoxy, 5 to 10 minute
- 4 channel transmitter minimum
- Micro receiver, 4 ch. minimum
- 2 ea. HS-55 servos (or similar) for rudder and
- 2 ea. GWS Pico/Naro servos (or similar) for
- 2 ea. 6 inch servo extensions
- Servo Y-Extension for aileron servos (or 5ch RX, and TX
capable of running 2 aileron servos)
- Brushless Power Systems:
- Custom CDR Single, GWS 2205-15T
outrunner, or sililar 70 to 100 watt outrunner.
Battery (from 800 to 1200 mAh)
- Brushed Power System:
- GWS EPS350 "C"
- Micro brushed ESC, 10A minimum
- GWS 9x7 2-blade prop
- 8-cell, 650 mAh NiMH
The current version of the fuselage manual is 1.0: J-3 Cub Fuselage Manual (1.12 MB)
The current version of the Clipped Wing manual is 1.0: J-3 Clipped Wing Manual (919 KB)